At that time
1 billion burs later!
When the brothers Ernst and Otto Busch set up their dental bur factory Busch &
Co. in Düsseldorf in 1905, they could hardly have imagined that these words would describe its
output just 100 years later!
Their intention was to give a boost to dentistry, a field which was still in its infancy at
the time (there were just 500 dentists in the whole of Germany in 1905), by producing better
instruments. They and the two following BUSCH generations succeeded admirably in this respect, as
the entire history of the company, which moved to Engelskirchen in 1908, is characterized by
constant adjustment to the latest developments in science and technology.
Such new product series as
- ceramic bonded abrasives
- the first dental carbide burs in Germany and
- diamond instruments
were milestones in its further development.
A former ironworks was purchased
in Engelskirchen in 1908
Production line around 1923
These fundamental innovations based on new types of cutting materials boosted
thousands of new products which – objectively speaking – have gradually relieved a bit of the
horror of dental treatment.
However, the acquired know-how was also used to the benefit of other users who soon came to
appreciate the high-quality of BUSCH products. Goldsmiths, jewellers and podologists became real
fans and inspired Busch & Co. to develop numerous innovations of the premium products which are
up to this day manufactured with high-technology in Engelskirchen and delivered to customers in
close to 100 countries around the world.
Speaking of Engelskirchen: it was probably the Genius Loci that enticed the two brothers into
the valley of the Agger river – or maybe it was the water power of the abandoned ironworks which
the company acquired, and perhaps also the wealthy brother-in-law in the neighbouring village of
Ründeroth who initially helped to finance the project - for the local people and town of
Engelskirchen profited not only from the corporate purpose of this new factory, which was at
that time one of only a few.
On the contrary: the activities of Busch & Co. and the general willingness of people to
follow untrodden paths and to take a risk, triggered a boom of new business in the town, a boom
which today would be considered unbelievable. People had to take their fate into their own hands,
for there was no state to promise them heaven on earth.
While Busch & Co. provided jobs for up to 180 people, some former employees who
had learned their trade by Busch now set up their own businesses and provided jobs for another 1000
people. They not only manufactured dental burs, but also related products, such as cutting and
grinding tools, as well as twist drills. One former employee even established an injection-moulding
company and took on orders from Busch.
This extraordinary boom in Engelskirchen ended with the 2nd World War. Many of the firms
still exist today, however, and form a sound basis for local industry up to the present day.
Past and present show that the right business decisions will no doubt continue to be taken in
this centenary company, decisions which also include promotion for such long-term external
projects. BUSCH supports regulary aid organizations as for e.g. Deutsche Welthungerhilfe /German
Agro Action (seaquake in Asia), Deutsche Krebshilfe /German cancer aid, the voluntary fire brigade
in Engelskirchen and for the Cologne Rundschau Geriatric Care Organization in the form of
Source: miscellaneous press releases
Our management team in 2005